22 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Duke Energy Progress says a power outage that affected thousands of customers in Wilmington this morning was due to a cat.

Duke Energy spokeswoman Jennifer Zajac says a cat apparently got into some substation equipment knocking out power to about 6,200 customers on the south side of Wilmington. Crews believe the cat died, Zajac said.

In addition to homes and business, the outage also blacked out traffic lights, which caused some delays for drivers.

Zajac says power was restored around 10:30 a.m.

Comment on this Story

22 Comments on "Cat blamed for morning power outage in Wilmington"

Clemson Bemson
2015 years 9 months ago

I’m thinking that there cat probably did. Seems like instead a just believing that, that there crew should a just opened the door an found a dead cat.

Guest2020
2015 years 9 months ago

I was wondering about them thinking the cat is dead. Did they see the cat? If so, can’t they tell if it’s dead? If not, then how do they know it was the cat’s fault?

2015 years 9 months ago

I think the cat shouldn’t be blamed. It’s not to the cat’s knowledge that he’ll destroy some devices and cause massive damage to the grid or something. It’s pure instinct I guess why he’s been there.

Jimmy Tate
2015 years 9 months ago

I wondered why the Buffet was offering sweat and sour “Cajun” style today…….Cough!…excuse me…Hair Ball.

Texting daughter
2015 years 9 months ago

Hopefully your daughter was not texting while driving!

Proofread your “smart” comments prior to posting….Friday is not 7/31/14, have some respect.

Guest Reply Redux
2015 years 9 months ago

Just had a text from my daughter in Wilmington, and she said the “said” cat left behind 35 kittens and 6 wives.
At 62,000,000 volts of power…”Sparky the cat” did die at the scene :-(
The family is having a private wake on Friday 7/31/14.

Guest2020
2015 years 9 months ago

“WPD says Duke Progress Energy crews located the cause of the outage at a sub-station on Carolina Beach Road and Southern Boulevard.”

Guest2020

That was one busy cat.

guesty
2015 years 9 months ago

Respect for a dead cat? The owners of the cat (if it wasn’t a stray) didn’t care enough to keep it in their house.

Guest Reply Redux
2015 years 9 months ago

I’m sorry…Friday is 7/32/14!!!
Geeze!

Mechanic
2015 years 9 months ago

Cats are outside animals. They are hunters that help keep down the rodent and snake population. A cat is totally useless inside. I have an old tomcat that regularly patrols my yard (neighbors, too) and catches mice and other unwanted critters before they find a way into my garage and eventually my house. He also catches moles which is a huge plus.

guesty
2015 years 9 months ago

And if they answer honestly I bet you will find some that wish you would keep YOUR cat in YOUR house. YOUR cat will poop in their yard, walk on their cars, claw their screen door.

211
2015 years 9 months ago

Wrong again. Friday is August 1st. Can’t get your dates right, can you?

guesty
2015 years 9 months ago

It is well apparent to everybody but you that Guest Reply Redux was being sarcastic. Did you happen to notice he/she put down 7/32/14? Are you aware none of the months have 32 days or did that little fact slip past you?

Beth
2015 years 9 months ago

Yeah, I have a problem with owners who leave their cats outdoors. Doing so is asking for a short life and unnecessarily painful death.

This particular cat, there is a chance it had been let out by mistake and the owners had been looking for it. Would be sad if that was the case. I pray that the cat had someone who loved it. Animals give so much with little to show for it. And that’s the saddest

guest01010

Extra crispy. Just how I like it

guest 1234

jj, you’re a dork.

who cares! put you’re pens and calculator back in your pocket protector, put some more tape back on your glasses, and get out of the locker you were stuffed in.

get a grip McFly.

jj
2015 years 9 months ago

This shows how much WPD knows about the area. There is not Sub-station at that location. There is a restaurant and a Mini-Mart there.

There is a Sub-Station behind the Car Wash at Carolina Beach Rd and Bordeaux Ave.

Beth
2015 years 9 months ago

I wish I hadn’t read this now. I can’t bear the thought of a fur baby in pain. I hope it went quick.

Heimie Schmelter

…may God rest his purring little soul. =^..^=

punny
2015 years 9 months ago

Duke Energy reporting a Cat in a substation caused the failure…guess that would make this a “cat”estrophic event…

Me
2015 years 9 months ago

Don’t blame the cat. He didn’t do it on PURRRRRPOSE.