7 Comments for this article

Tags: , , ,

CALABASH, NC (WWAY) — A fire heavily damaged a restaurant in Calabash overnight.

In an area that’s known for it’s restaurants, Coleman’s was a stand out.

Built in 1940, it was one of the first two restaurants in all of Calabash. Now, it’s not nearly as recognizable.

Sunday, a steady stream of folks were driving through to check out the damage.

Deanna Bullard says she was raised in Whiteville and grew up coming to Coleman’s with her family.

She stopped by Sunday planning to take her boyfriend to Coleman’s, her family’s favorite seafood place, but she was shocked when she saw what was left of the restaurant.
“This is like a landmark, it’s been around forever as far back as I can remember,” Bullard said. “I know my parents are gonna be shocked when I go back and tell them.”

Fourth generation owner Crystal Coleman-Nixon says she was told an electrical hot spot is to blame for the blaze.

The Calabash Fire Department says at 11:36 p.m. it and several other agencies responded to a fire at Coleman’s Original Calabash Restaurant at 9931 Nance Street. When they got there firefighters found smoke pouring from the roof of the building. They say flames broke through a short time later.

The fire department says crews battled the fire for a little more than an hour before bringing it under control. The fire damaged the roof and front of the business, but firefighters were able to save many irreplaceable family pictures and mementos belonging to the owners of the restaurant. No one was hurt.

Coleman-Nixon says she’s still hopeful. “At the end of the day, this is our life,” Coleman-Nixon said. “We’ll be back as soon as possible.”

Comment on this Story

Leave a Reply

7 Comments on "Fire damages Calabash restaurant, we get an inside look"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted

Related News