POLICE: Missing USMC Vet from Hampstead found dead

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 09/01/2014 - 1:08am
Updated: Mon, 09/01/2014 - 1:11am

HAMPSTEAD, NC (WWAY) — The Pender County Sheriff’s Office says a Marine, believed to be missing, has been found dead.

They say his death is not suspicious.

Pender County detectives spent the weekend looking for James Salvatore Kalitz, 31, of Hampstead. Family was told he was last seen Saturday near the Independence Mall in Wilmington.

Kalitz is a USMC veteran, who suffered from PTSD and depression.

• Kenneth Mckenna says:

My heart is broke this morning. I was so afraid this would be the outcome but hopeful it would not. With all the money the government spends on stupid shit, can’t we tackle this problem. My best friend was a combat vet in nam. He shared with me one day how what hurt him so bad was going straight from combat in viet nam, to being home within a week. He said it was like cultural shock. He didn’t talk much, but he was disappointed that he wasn’t given help before coming home. To think he went off to a foreign land, to kill or be killed, lost many buddies, then came home and shot himself. My heart aches for the family, it’s so hard to wrap your head around. R.I.P. Brother, your tour here is over, suffer no more.

• Kenneth Mckenna says:

• me says:

This entire area is a damn cess pool of horrible uncaring people mixed in with a very few decent ones. It makes it damn near impossible for people who need help to get it, and for people who need support to get it. I see a tricare network psychiatrist and I dread having to go each and every time I go because the majority of the staff treat you like complete sh*t. Your friends, if you are lucky enough to have any, can’t deal with you having problems that don’t have an easy fix. Reaching out for help, I personally have and been told to kill myself, or just brushed off.

I hope this is a wake up call that the entire support system for mental health in this area is trash. Complete and utter trash. The only people who are able to get help here are the people who don’t actually need it.

Stop posting political crap here, and stop posting stupid vaccine garbage conspiracy theories. That is not the problem. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. Taking this mans death and trying bringing your hidden agenda into it. A bunch of disgusting human beings is what we have in society now, a saturation of them around this area.

• Brent Holmes says:

Rest in peace brother. Your pain does not go unnoticed. Together we sacrifice so much for so many but in the end we have nobody to take care of us.

• Kadance says:

The Last Roll Call was a beautiful thing for you to do! Very touching!

• zenobia says:

Medical marijuana legalization has already been shown to cut deaths from opiate overdoses by 25% and it helps PTSD, why isn’t it available for all our veterans?

• Kathie says:

I am so sorry for the loss of this young man. It is heartbreaking and I pray for his loved ones and that he rests in peace.

I also hope that you and other struggling vets can find the help you need. There is a great place in atlanta that can help you and any other post 9/11 vets who are struggling. It is called SHARE Military Initiative and is operated out of Shepherd Center and the services are free – which includes temporary housing while in the program. This is not an advertisement for SHARE but I know a few soldiers who have benefitted from this program. You can check it out at http://www.shepherd.org/patient-programs/care-for-us-service-members

Please know that there are people who do care about our soldiers and our hearts break when we hear news of soldiers taking their lives.

• MsDuhMeanor says:

I’m so sorry you’re left in a position where you need help and there’s no one that understands. I’ve been there; I am there. I’ve had those same words said to me. Its hard to be alone and constantly ravaged by those feelings that no one wants to hear about. I just want to say that I understand.

• louie says:

Veteran to Veteran semper fi brother and may u find the peace u couldn’t find here. God bless u and us family and friends. GONE but NEVER FORGOTTEN

• mamab says:

I am so sorry my son.He did not end his life he ended his pain.Once in heaven you will find peace.Please say hello to my son.

• Tyler Bergseid says:

Rest in peace brother!

• at peace says:

I would like to say to this person about serving in the military, I served 25 yrs, completed two tours in Iraq and worked from Hawaii to Texas serving my country. I do suffer from PTSD and it has been very difficult dealing with this mental illness; but I owe it to my family to keep living, enjoying peace and making every day as a new beginning. No one can say how PTSD affect each and every soldier and this is the tragic story, we are all wired different in our brain and we all dealing with a dark demon who stays with us 24/7. There is hope and soldiers can live a somewhat normal life, attend group therapy, take your meds, keep your appointments with your doctor, stay away from drugs and alcohol and find God. There have been many soldier who have lived with PTSD and continue to be a part of society. There are a lot of soldiers who wants to live in the area of PTSD and never try to regain some sense of “who you are’. War is hell and everybody is affected in some way. Stop the angry and stay in treatment. I am a female soldier who served her country with pride. God bless you.

• Orland Koonce says:

My condolences on your loss. As a veteran my self I look at the other vets as my family. SEMPER FI lil brother. I have the watch….

• cherie marcom-gatlin says:

Its absolutely despicable the way our vets are being treated, or NOT being treated. I send love, prayer & respect to you. It breaks my heart every time we lose another soldier to something so preventable. My dad & brother were both combat Marines. I grew up seeing the hell my dad went thru. My son just returned from Parris Island. All of you deserve the best our country has to offer, & I am ashamed that our govt isn’t providing it to you. Thank you for your sacrifice.

• Melinda Rothblatt says:

I am so sorry for his family’s loss! As a mom who’s son has been over in Iraq and Afghanistan too many times, this is too real. Heaven got an angel!!

• Jason Hart says:

Rest easy brother you wont be forgotten

• Corey Patrick says:

I am so sorry to the family for your loss. You have my deepest condolances. I am so sorry to my brother whom we lost. We failed you. But worry not, for you enter good company of the Warriors gone before you. Rest easy now brother. We have the watch.

Last roll call:

Kalitz.

James Kalitz.

James Salvatore Kalitz.

Till we regroup, Semper Fidelis. /salute

• Kat says:

Amen, may your soul be at peace. I’m so tired of losing loved ones this way. I’m tired of reading about ANYONE loosing a loved one this way. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your service and keeping the watch. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all who serve. May our government start to feel the same way and provide the funding needed for every person they have made a veteran to be treated in every way with the respect they deserve.

• Michael says:

First I am a Marine Corps Veteran. Now, there is a therapy that will, not maybe, but will help most people will mental trauma. The Therapy is called ‘Thought Field Therapy’ (TFT). I have been assisting Veterans for over 18 years. It has been used in many VA hospitals and when the study is completed the VA stops using it. I can explain it over the phone and have worked with Veterans over the phone. If you are looking for assistance please email me with your phone number. The only thing that will happen after a about 15 minutes is that you will say Hey I feel better or this is BS. It will only cost you 15 minutes of your time for maybe a new outlook on life. I am not a white coat so I do not have to report any discussions we have. It is your choice. Be Well, Semper Fi Michael cessna421@comcast.net

RIP blessed Marine. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice. My prayers are with his family.

• gunnery Sergeant says:

Semper Fi. Do you mind if I stand watch with you brother?

• DONNA GRIEGO says:

Our family knows ptsd, someone we love very much suffers with it. Our prayers go out to all left behind, go with God Jimmy, I pray you have found the peace you sought.

• Jennifer Hoffman says:

Gunny, please no. Allow him to take first watch. We have too many guarding the streets of Heaven already. We do not need another to stand watch with him. We will all be there in Heaven soon enough, drinking and fighting with the Army pukes. I wish you inner peace, Gunny. Ooh rah, Marine.

• Gregory H Velders says:

When the HELL are they going to do MORE for our HERO’S DAM IT ?? Tears and God be with him and his Family Semper Fi Brother !!

• Maggie R says:

I say this with a heavy heavy heart that I find this as heartbreaking as it comes.

• karol says:

Bryan. You hit the nail right on the head. Obama is as anti American as they cime. Where are we going as a nation. I feel so bad for my grandchildren. ..they will have to grow up in this crap.

• Byron Long says:

These guys survive Iraq and Afghanistan but the US is too tough anymore. Maybe if the Commie n Thief Obama didnt sell the military down the river there would still be some morale. Sucks to come home and know everything you did overseas was a wasted effort, the VA could care less about your problems, Democrat politicians think illegal aliens swarming the border are more honorable than actual citizens, and Obama thinks the funeral of the thug thief Saint Swisher Sweets Big Mike Brown is more important than sending an entourage to the funeral of a 2 star General. This country is in real trouble.

• wes collier says:

Your comment on this subject hits home. I dont usually post comments but you were absolutly right in every respect. Thank you.

• dontworryaboutit says:

Now is NOT the time or place to get political. The family doesnt need to see this! Take your rant else where

• Rebel With a Cause says:

Byron, You are so right. You said a mouthful and it all was true. Our nation is in deep trouble.

• Kim says:

This breaks my heart that we have failed yet another Military member. It is up to each of us to just be aware. I often post that even if you don’t know anyone who is or has served to please just share a post that could possibly save a life. It’s the old “a friend of a friend of my friend” line.

My heart is heavy and my prayers are with this Marine and his family.

• Chris colosi says:

I wish nothing but safe travels and to his family you have my deepest condolences.For the guy voicing his insane theory you do realize how disrespectful it is to post that on this blog im an army vet of 6yrs ive lost over 8 buddies bc of ptsd

• Jonah says:

RIP my brother. For those that don’t know, the demons (ptsd) are real and very hard to explain. They take over our minds and manifest into negative altered thoughts. My heart is sadden today to hear that we lost another veteran in our own back yard. Together we can stand up and fight this disease. Talk to a veteran; reach out.

Semper Fi,

Jonah

• Peggy says:

My heart breaks for this family. Being a mother to an servicemen I don’t understand why there isn’t more help for those that risk and gave their lives so we can live in this messed up country. May God hold you close in his arms! <<< From Georgia

• Karin Gomez says:

I am sorry for this families loss. I lost my son corporal Nicholas Gomez 6 months ago to PTSD.

• USMC says:

Rest In Peace…….Semper Fi

• usmc vet says:

SEMPER FI BROTHER may you rest in peace .my prayers go out to you and your family

• Ethel Simmons says:

Rest in peace and thank you for your heroic service for our country, my deepest condolences to the family of this brave soldier, my heart breaks for you all..

• Sally boyle says:

So very sorry to hear of another soldier gone….deepest sympathies to his family and friends, may he now rest in the peace he could not find here.

• Sally boyle says:

• Diamond says:

From a lot of comments one would assume he took his own life, but is that the truth? There is no public release of self inflicted death.

• Ann K says:

People are respectuful with kind words ,unlike yourself

• cate says:

RIP weary warrior. My thoughts and prayers are with the family during this tragic time.

• Tammy Biggers says:

My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and fellow military family. I am so sad we have lost another precious service member. God be with him.

• stu says:

Rest in peace fellow veteran.

• Tammy Biggers says:

• Tammy Biggers says:

• Fellow Veteran says:

This is so sad. I hate that this is going on and something more needs to be done for those who has gone out their way for their country…..What I don’t know but Gov. has plenty funds stashed to figure it out. Will leave it at that.. Many prayers to all the military (anyone) who are suffering from this horrible disorder and their families who’ve lost.

• Kat says:

Thank you!! And their facts are completely wrong. Show your respect! and then do your homework.

• Guest-o-matic says:

His political comments are not disparaging to the family of this veteran. What he says holds a lot of ground and is fully truthful of the disrespect the citizens and soldiers of this country are exposed to.

The citizens pay the taxes that funds this great country, the soldiers put their lives on the line to protect our freedoms while the “politicians” get in front of the camera in their pressed shirts, suits, 1000 dollar haircuts and makeup while they feed us all a bunch of side-lipped horse-hooie about how good our country is doing! Our president has never even run a private business, he has NEVER served his country in the military and knows absolutely nothing about what it’s all about, much less the soldiers that make it up OR what they go through!

My condolences go to the family of this veteran that so bravely went to the middle east to fight the cowards that are so intent on destroying America, it people, its freedoms and everything else we stand for! The government does not do nearly enough to care for the veterans that come home after being exposed to horrific experiences.

Now take your poster gestapo pants off, slide back into your smelly easy chair and try to get up out of it at the next election to help put someone in that actually cares about this country and its people!!!

• Dave1273 says:

Sorry but no one did go to the Generals funeral so his facts are incorrect while 5 people from the WH attended Mike Browns funeral. It was very easy using Google to find out the facts