NC Supreme Court rejects emergency voucher release


Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 09/03/2014 - 1:22am
Updated: Wed, 09/03/2014 - 1:26am
By:

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — The N.C. Supreme Court has rejected a request for the emergency release of voucher funds during their appeal of a court decision that declared the program unconstitutional.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reports the court offered little explanation for the Tuesday’s decision.

Last month, the new school voucher program for low-income families was ruled unconstitutional by a judge who said taxpayer money should not be used for tuition to private or religious schools. Wake County Superior Court Judge Robert Hobgood said the vouchers pay for students to attend privately run K-12 schools that do not have to meet state curriculum requirements.

Last week, legislative leaders and backers of the N.C. “Opportunity Scholarship” program went to the Supreme Court when a similar request to the N.C. Court of Appeals failed.

Information from: The News & Observer, http://www.newsobserver.com

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!