Moral Monday gives voters a voice

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 09/16/2014 - 3:12am
Updated: Tue, 09/16/2014 - 12:09pm By:

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Folks from many races and religions were out in downtown Wilmington in support of Moral Monday.

A rally that billed itself initially as one about voting rights turned into a rally about equality of all types.

Community leaders, including those from Cape Fear Equality, the Cape Fear Riverkeeper and the NAACP spoke about gaining that equality through a voice at the ballot box.

Folks expressing their displeasure with legislators in Raleigh and what they saw as a regression in legal rights.

What they hope, they said, is that folks in Raleigh hear them .

“I think it puts our legislature on notice,” said Louise Miller, a former educator and supporter of the rally. “And I hope what it does is it brings together all the elements who want to see change and I hope they go to the polls in November.”

This type of rally has been held across the state and is sponsored by the NAACP.

• Clear Thinking says:

for the previous 120 years while the state was under democratic rule. OK, lets just say the previous 10 years as fun.
    > Education: Democratic RULE ( Last 120 years in NC) Lowest in the nation while under the democratic party.

> Republican Majority 2013 : Make it funcational, productive, raise teacher pay

> Coal ash: Democratic party in bed with the power company in NC ( last 120 yrs.) coal ash polluting rivers and ground water.

> Republicans Voted in 2013: Put together a plan to address the issue

> Voter ID/Rights: Democratic Rule …..None, no action
    > Republican Majority: Gets NC in ine with the rest of the nation and world
    > Gerry Manadering: Democratic Rule: Set in stone to benefit the democratic party for 120 yrs.
    > Republican Party VOTED in and legal draws up plan to address inequalities and the demo’s cry fowl.

> Moral Majority: Come to my job site and give me a day to ride around the state saying nothing. Who pays these people???

• Raine M. Jirak says:

I believe there is some confusion about the rally yesterday…
    One, it was held at 5:30-I work everyday from 7:15-3:30, so a lot of people there work…some more then one job.
    Two, it was a very informative, unbiased and peaceful rally. If you weren’t there, how would you know anything about it?
    Three-for those making judgements online on what the issues that were actually discussed at the rally-our state’s educational system, health care, employment, etc-I ask you to do some research, register to vote-get others to register, and vote yourself. Try some positive changes and stop drinking the most-popular Kool-Aid.

• 10101 says:

The only implication one can really get from this headline is:

(1) Voters now have a choice (inferring that they didn’t before) to vote for someone other than the elected representatives now in office.
    (2) That somehow Moral Monday (a disparate group of people protesting against everything but the kitchen sink), should be credited with “giving” voters this choice (again inferring that they didn’t have it previously).

The obvious implication of this headline is that those now in office should be voted out. That’s biased. Add in the little cameo of Susi Hamilton in the video, with her campaign poster being held up behind her, and all pretense of objectivity goes right out the window.

We trust our news organizations to provide us with unbiased information so that we as concerned citizens can make intelligent decisions about the world around us. That’s your job and your professional obligation to the communities in which you serve.

This story doesn’t even come close to doing that. We deserve better, much better.

BTW: I vote independently, so just to make it perfectly clear, my post is a complaint about biased unprofessional reporting, not about one party or the other getting a free handout.

• Vog46 says:

Isn’t it great that we can see this type of stuff in this great country?
    The National Association for the Advancement of Camera People.
    Good to see them stepping up to help out the soon to be unemployed film workers.
    It brings a tear to my eye………

Vog

• Er1koenig says:

As clear as mud. This is a lot smarter than something I would say.

• Erlkoenig says:

Imitation, even that as lame as yours, is a sincere form of flattery.

• The Sheriff says:

Glad they exercised their constitutional rights to peacefully assemble while not rioting or looting or taking things that don’t belong to them….

• The Sheriff says:

Ok Derrick, I will use smaller words so you can understand and follow me.

Some people have jobs and occupations. Those jobs and occupations require you to show up and work in order to receive compensation, or “pay” in layman’s terms. You can’t be paid or receive compensation if you are not at work, working, If you are marching and protesting at the moral monday rally, then you are not at work working.

I don’t care who was at the rally. What I do care about is having to keep paying more in taxes so folks who won’t work and support themselves, won’t while sucking down unemployment insurance money, food stamps and while wasting minutes on the ever popular “obamaphones.”

If you feel I have some preconceived notion about the folks who support and or attend these rallies, I do. They are nothing more than race baiters and pot stirring boot lickers who need to mind their own business instead of meddling in others affairs. My family didn’t ask for their help. My family doesn’t want their help. My family doesn’t need their help. Why? Because we are not inept nor feel we are owed anything. We do, however, object consciously to all who feel they are. Just like your right to disagree and protest, we and or me, exercise our rights to disagree and protest.

When you clean up your own back yard, then you can tell me to clean mine. Till then, you have absolutely no right to wag your finger in anyones face about anything.

• Erlkoenig says:

Please educate me dear ueber-smart liberal. What jobs do the National Association for the Advancement of Communists People have?

We have ascertained (please use this word correctly in the future) that this is the case Mr. Anderson because it is ALL that happens these days…people whining more and wanting more when I’VE paid for the clothes on their backs. Are you one of the extremely intelligent? Sounds like it.

• My usage of the word ascertain was in the proper context, so don’t lecture on the English Language. My retort to your pettiness comes at a price to me as one who was taught better. Being raised in Pender county on a farm I was taught two reasons on why you should never mud wrestle with a pig. One, you are going to get muddy and filthy. Two, it is fun for the Pig. Oh, I notice you guys don’t cite your real names on these post. Not much courage there my friend, but then again if all I had was TEABAGG mantra I wouldn’t cite my name either! Y’all come back here. LOL

What you just said makes absolutely no sense! Maybe a little too much farm learnin?

• Monkey Junction says:

Their jobs are to prescribe the anti-psychotic medicines that you refuse to take.

• The Sheriff says:

By far, best post on here about moral mondays.

• taxpayer says:

those of us who are working…and paying taxes…decided to have our own version of a “Moral Monday” march demanding less entitlements from the Government.

Now THAT would really steam Rev. Bully Barber’s corn.

• Erlkoenig says:

Sorry I couldn’t make the shindig. I had to work to help pay for all your food stamps and Obamaphones.

• Earlkoenig says:

Thanks a lot for the free stuff. Sorry you couldn’t make it.

• Phil Lowe says:

Typical Jerk ..probably not even from around here.

• taxpayer$$$ says:

First, the headline of this story is misleading. And is it an opinion or fact?

Second, note the following:
    READ MORE: News New Hanover County News Cape Fear Equality Cape Fear Riverkeeper Moral Monday NAACP Politics Susi Hamilton Voting Rights

Where is Susi Hamilton mentioned in the story? Why give her a free link and just before “Voting Rights”? Nice try.

Report the news and leave the bias for tires.

WWAY, you can do better.

• The Sheriff says:

So…..

Let me get this right….

You have a bunch of folks who should be going to work, but instead…

They march in protest, shouting and waving banners, demanding more entitlements from folks who ARE working…

I hope WPD has enough riot gear and tear gas.

• taxpayer says:

Everyone attending has Mondays off…and Tuesday…and Wednesday…and…

• I don’t know where you have ascertained your information on protesters not working but I was at the rally and I work everyday. Chances are I probably work more than you, pay more taxes than you, and have done more for my country than you. This narrow minded view of folks puzzles me because you have no tangible knowledge on who was at the rally. You surmise these folk are people you may not agree with politically and you may well be right since these people are extremely intelligent. It may be they are protesting on your behalf also, but you would rather think the contrary.

• Bearclaw says:

I stopped at the rally on my way home from work and I’m glad I did. It was great to see so many hundreds of concerned citizens demonstrating their constitutional rights.

• Heimie Schmelter says:

Everyone present their Identification when casting ballots at the next election. This is the way “legal and valid” voters do it. I’m for voters rights for all, except illegal aliens, convicted felons and other non-residents.

If you can cash a government check, you can present an ID to vote. It doesn’t get much more “moral” than that.

• Timekeeper says:

Heimie, you’re so right. I guarantee you if they told all these people that they had to have a picture ID to cash government checks, As most do, there would not be any bickering. They would pull it (ID) out or dart a blue streak to the NC driver’s license office to get a picture ID. I suppose most are just too lazy, dumb or fear deportation to obtain the required ID. Whatever the case, if they don’t have an ID they should not be allowed to vote.

• Monkey Junction says:

What should we do about absentee ballots? No one shows an ID when submitting an absentee ballot. Should we get rid of those too? The majority of voter fraud occurs through absentee ballots so if we are serious about fraud, just get rid of those ballots.

• Kevin Kong says:

Do you want to see a poll tax or grandfather clause enacted too?

• clear and present danger says:

Many transactions require an ID with photo. Do not see problem with this action. This will eliminate voter fraud where some voters abuse the system. Voting in multiple states, more than once in home state would be stopped. Citizens are allowed one vote per person.

• beach guy says:

I do not know how any “news: editor can let this bias stand.
    These folks protesting, while well within their rights to do,
    do not represent all voters only the portion that are anti-republican and pro government entitlement. We are currently approaching the election cycle some honest and balanced coverage of election items would go far to shore up your journalistic credibility.
    Please try and separate opinion from fact your coverage of the film incentive story was deplorable.
    These young reporters that you have working for you could be the next Cronkite or Brinkley instead of a Maddow or Scarborough with just a little more guidance from a professional editor that is doing what you are supposed to be doing, which is a government watch dog reporting without bias the news of the day to the public at large.
    Just give us the facts we the public should be able to discern our own opinion. by the way the NAACP is not a “community leader” it is a national organization neither is cape fear river watch while they are a worthy organization again not a community leader.

Wow, Wave Transit must have loved Monday since all the people there are claiming it is too hard to get ID’s, I’d imagine none of them have a drivers license. I bet they had no problem if they were requested to show ID to get their obozo phone.

So funny how a law to be applied equally to all voters in the state is somehow racist. Why don’t they spend their energy trying to get the black youth to stop joining gangs? Why not use some time attempting to get black fathers to stay with their families?

• Guestman. says:

Isn’t it great that we live in a country where everyone can express their views and have the right to peaceful demonstrations.
    BTW, anyone can get a DL with a power bill and a passport from any country. This is just a thinly veiled attempt to disenfranchise voters.

• Heimie Schmelter says:

…them block blithering idiots from voting! That’s the way Obama got in for a 2nd term, remember?

• Erlkoenig says:

A phony Erlkoenig. How about that. I see you brought your Commucrat voting practices to the WWAY comments area.

WWAY, please make this guy show an ID.

• Erlkoenig says:

I was sort of expecting a “thank you” for paying for your government cheese.