School bus driver suspended after incident caught on camera

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 09/29/2014 - 8:44pm
Updated: Tue, 09/30/2014 - 1:15am By:

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A New Hanover County School bus driver has been suspended with pay pending the outcome of an investigation by the district of some sort of incident.

School district spokeswoman Valita Quattlebaum says David Penson drives a bus for Holly Shelter Middle School.

Quattlebaum says there is video of the incident that is under review by the school district’s attorney, which means it cannot be released at this time.

• Grullet says:

While understanding that there is an ongoing investigation, could you give me and the other parents out there some context about “the incident”?

• Grullet says:

We are still waiting for details nearly 48 hours after you first posted this story. Any follow up?

• Rebel With a Cause says:

Stories like this would be better left unreported until all the facts are in. You tell who did something, possibly wrong, but not what he did, which tends to activate small minds conjuring up all kinds of things.

• Shannon says:

If it is on camera…what is there to investigate and why is she getting paid to not work?

• Silent voice says:

I am sure plenty of students have released their footage on some social media site. When I worked there a bus driver assaulted a student, made racial slurs and never received any consequences!!! This is why EVERY bus should have a camera on board. Any research on how many actually have cameras? Maybe that should be considered since NHCS is all about spending and wasting tax dollars daily!

• Guest Reply Redux says:

…Because some individual commentors on this Forum can’t stand people criticizing WWAY’s methods of reporting a story when it comes to being incomplete…leaving the readers hanging.
    As I’ve written in my remarks on another story on this news site (Arcade fire in Carolina Beach) it’s all about being “1st” to report and shoot for the ratings! I started out debating with Daniel on this topic…but others stepped in criticizing me criticizing…and that became a moment of truth how some want their news reported…Incomplete, and they are willing to support those standards to no end.
    What’s so ironic is…bad reporting only gets bad ratings…but the Media doesn’t seem to care…or simply hasn’t a clue how bad they look. Furthermore…readers that support poor Media look just as bad. But hey…thats them :-)

• Guest 2010 says:

Partial reporting only fills in space. If I was a reporter, I would follow the basic rules of reporting before I put pen to paper, or fingers to the keyboard.

What are the very basic rules of reporting news?

Who, what, when, where, why, and how.

This article is without any of the above. It is a filler. Come back with the correct facts when the above 6 rules can be included in the report.

I have a journalist in my family and no way would he write an article that says that something happened just to stir up interest. In other words, stay tuned, don’t turn that dial. When we have something to report, the blanks will be filled in.

• Brenda says:

How long has Mr Pinson been driving a bus? If it’s more than one day, then it’s longer than I could do it.
    Let’s look at the tapes of everyday since he began.