WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Hazmat crews have contained the ammonia leak that shut down part of Market Street when a transformer malfunctioned, and now traffic is back to normal.
Just after 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, a hazmat team and officers were called to the scene of the leak in the 1200 block of Market Street. WPD said emergency workers responded to Rose Ice and Coal at 1202 Market Street.
A Wilmington Fire Department spokesman said the cause of the leak was from a relief valve that opened to relieve an increased pressure in the system. The spokesman said the cause of the increased pressure is not certain but may have resulted from a temporary loss of power in the area when a transformer blew.
Police closed a two block area near the 1200 block of Market Street. Residents nearby were evacuated as a precaution. Dispatchers said early Thursday that crews cleared the scene just before midnight, and that residents were allowed back to their homes.