0 Comments for this article

Tags: ,

509 N. 8th Street fire
The Wilmington Fire Department responds to a house fire at 509 N. 8th Street on April 21, 2017. (Photo: Jenna Kurzyna/WWAY)

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A woman and her daughter got out safely after their Wilmington home caught fire today.

Shawanda Hooper said that work was being done on the floors in the home at 509 N. 8th Street when the fire started.

Hooper was at work, but her daughter and her granddaughter were inside the house when the fire started.

No one was hurt, but Hooper says the fire destroyed many valuables. The fire also spread to the the vinyl siding and attic of a home next door.

The Wilmington Fire Department put out the fire and determined it was accidental.

Investigators say it started in the back porch area of the home.

Firefighters say both homes had significant damage. The Red Cross is helping the residents with temporary housing.

Comment on this Story

Related News

11 hours ago
0 Comments for this article
WFD responds to early morning fire
Read More»
24 hours ago
0 Comments for this article
Witnesses heard booms, screams in fatal fire
Read More»
FDNY firefighter dies after fall
4 days ago
0 Comments for this article
New York City firefighter dies after falling several stories
Read More»