Campus Edge Apartments were evacuated Friday afternoon, because of a fire in an apartment. The complex houses mainly UNCW students, and is located off Racine Drive near the university. Witnesses say the fire appeared to have started in an upstairs unit, possibly in one of the kitchens. The entire complex had to be evacuated while the fire was put out. NewsChannel 3 spoke to one Campus Edge resident who was inside the building when the fire started. "We started smelling smoke and saw black smoke coming out of the top there and realized that the building was on fire," resident Robert Higdon said. "We got out as quick as we could and we looked at one of the apartments and it was just consumed by fire, nothing we could do about it." The fire was put out within about an hour, and residents were let back in to the other units.
Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.