make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Authorities: Material stored close to space heater caused NC fire

READ MORE:
LELAND (AP) -- Authorities say material that was too close to a space heater ignited, causing a mobile home fire that killed two Brunswick County boys. The boys were identified as 8-year-old Anthony Turner, 8, and his brother 6-year-old Tyler Turner, who were students at Lincoln Elementary School. Authorities say the fire on Sunday also injured four other family members. Brunswick County fire Marshal Scott Garner says the boys were trapped in the bedroom they shared. He says the blaze began about 2 a.m. Sunday in the bathroom, located between the master bedroom and the children's bedrooms. He says authorities determined that the material that was too close to the space heater caught fire. Thirteen people have died in five fatal fires in Brunswick County in less than two months. (Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Prayers

Our heart and prayers go out to this family, it breaks our heart to hear of such a loss, I work with Monica on searches, and she is one of the sweetest people I know, and I am sure that her whole family is the same as her, they will always be in our hearts and prayers, and we will be there for them if they need us. The Clevelands From Kentucky

Stay Safe! Top tips for safely using your portable heater

The assocaition of home appliance manufacturers (AHAM) has developed a web site that has tips on staying safe when using a portable heater in both English and Spanish. Visit http://www.heatersafety.org/ You may request a free brochure also from this web site, or by calling the phone number provided. Thanks!