make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Civilian and military police awaiting autopsy results of a Fort Bragg soldier

READ MORE: Civilian and military police awaiting autopsy results of a Fort Bragg soldier
Civilian and military police are awaiting autopsy results, in the death of a Fort Bragg soldier. Authorities still aren't saying whether Megan Touma was murdered, but say there is reason for suspicion. She had been dead for days by the time police discovered her body in a North Carolina motel June 21st. How 23-year-old Megan Touma died remains a mystery, along with why the army waited more than 24 hours to report the pregnant soldier missing. Touma's ex-husband, El Sayed, now remarried and living in South Carolina, said the news of her death is devastating. "They just said she's AWOL. Well, go check on her. Maybe if you would have checked earlier or something, you could have probably saved her life or just maybe her body wouldn't decompose," said Sayed. Touma had just returned from Germany, and was waiting to be reassigned at Fort Bragg when she failed to show for a formation exercise. Maj. Angela Funaro said, "...its sad and deeply troubling. We want to find out what happened to her and make sure that we and her family get all the answers." This isn't the first time North Carolina's dealt with the murder of a pregnant military member. Last January, Lance Corporal Maria Lauterbach's burned remains were found buried in fellow Marine Cesar Laurean's backyard. Laurean is now charged with her murder and is awaiting extradition from Mexico. However, in Touma's case, so far, there are no suspects, and few details. She was a soldier her hometown of Campbell, Kentucky says was proud to serve her country. Touma's high school principal Anthony Strong said, "...and even during after a period of time she would come back with recruiters to the high school to help recruit other students…" A soldier, they recall, was excited about her future, and that of her unborn child. Two lives, now cut tragically short. Police expect an autopsy on Touma's remains will provide more information as to how she died. Touma's family declined to comment, saying they needed time to grieve her death.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.