WILMINGTON – There is new information in the investigation into a police-involved shooting that left a Wilmington man dead Thursday night. We now know bullets that struck Phillipe McIver did not come from close range. The medical examiner's preliminary autopsy results show the bullets that killed 23-year-old McIver came from a distance away. We spoke with someone in the medical examiner's office in Onslow County Tuesday about Dr. William Kelly's initial findings. They say McIver was shot multiple times. Also we're told there were no powder burns on his body. That indicates the bullets came from some undetermined distance. Wilmington Police Chief Ralph Evangelous said last week rookie Officer Jason Howard shot McIver only after McIver had pulled a service weapon out of another officer's holster and fired. At that time Evangelous said it wasn't yet known if Officer Howard shot and killed McIver. Chief Evangelous said, "We know shots were fired. And we know that he was hit. But there are other circumstances here in play that we can't get into at this point." The medical examiner says several of the shots could have been fatal, but won't disclose how many shots struck McIver, and won't say where the 23-year-old was wounded. Friday Chief Evangelous told NewsChannel 3 there is video from a camera mounted in a police car that responded to the scene. That video may act as the best witness to what happened. It's now in the hands of the State Bureau of Investigation.
- Video Central
- About WWAY