make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

NHRMC lockdown caused by man charged with armed robbery

READ MORE:
hospital300.jpg
New Hanover Regional Medical Center is back to business as usual after an emergency lockdown Tuesday night. Police have charged Shamel McCallum with attempted armed robbery. Police say McCallum attempted to rob the Two-Fifth clothing store on South 17th Street, and was shot in the foot by a store employee. McCallum went to the hospital around 7:30 p.m. and threatened to kill an employee if he wasn't treated. New Hanover Regional spokesperson Carolyn Fisher said hospital employees acted quickly. “Volunteers at the desk, as a precaution, notified special police and they called a lockdown: at which point the man ran into the emergency department and barricaded himself in a bathroom.” Police were eventually able to get McCallum to open the door. He had been released from prison on December 22 after serving a sentence for common law robbery and assault on an officer. Fisher said the hospital will not seek further charges.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.