A Brunswick County couple is counting their blessings. A holiday weekend fire destroyed their house, but because of the community, the Holmes family is starting to rebuild. While the structure remains intact, the boarded up windows, and ash stains tell the story of what happened to the Holmes residence the day after Christmas. A fire tore through the home on Maco Road in Leland while both Terri and her husband were out buying supplies to print their recent holiday photos. As it turns out, the memories are exactly what the fire destroyed, that can't be replaced. "I just kept telling them, get my pictures, I just want my pictures,” Terri Holmes said. The Brunswick County Fire Marshall says the fire started in an area between the bathroom and a walk-in closet. What started the fire is still unknown, but investigators say foul play has been ruled out. In the meantime, the Holmes are making do, with what they have. "So we'll be living in our RV that we work in when we travel and are on the road, and I just thank god that no one was in the house," Holmes added. Terri is also thanking the community which has stepped up to help. Concerned residents have been bringing food, clothes and essentials. "They're calling me all day, what sizes do you wear, and things like that. I'm amazed" said Holmes; proving the spirit of the holidays is alive and well, even after Christmas. "There's still people who care about people." The Holmes' insurance company has yet to assess the damage, but the Brunswick County Fire Marshall says between fire, smoke and water, the home is more than likely a complete loss.
- Video Central
- About WWAY