make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Cigarette blamed for fatal fire

READ MORE:
fire300.jpg
We now know the cause of that apartment fire that took the life of recent UNCW grad Rory Michaelson over the weekend. Wilmington firefighters said it started on the outside, upper level deck of Michaelson's apartment at Cypress Pointe off New Centre Drive. "It was a windy night, and somehow a spark or a cigarette that was improperly discarded and that started the fire," Battalion Chief David Hines said. "The fire then moved up the outside of the building into the attic area. Once it got into the attic area, it was above any smoke detectors; thus the detectors were not able to pick up and detect it. It disabled the smoke detectors which were electrical or hardwired detectors. The current to the detectors was disabled before the fire could ever reach it to set off the detection devices." The apartment building did not have sprinklers and the smoke detectors did not have a battery back-up. That combination proved to be deadly. A celebration of Michaelson's life will be held Thursday at UNCW. It's open to UNCW students, faculty and staff. Her boyfriend remains in critical condition at the burn center in Chapel Hill.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.