make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

- Cypress Point Fire - PREVENTION IS THE KEY

Every apartment should have a working smoke detector. However, the real answer to fire safety in these multiple dwellings is an appropriate building code. In this case, it was not the wind, not the cigarette, or the spark that caused this fire. The existing Building Code is defective. Example, wooden deck, flamable vinyl siding, substandard fire exits, and inappropriate fire stopping to the cockloft is the reason why this fire got to the point where you had a fatality and other injured people. If this is left unchecked, again, under the right conditions: high wind, etc., any amount of proper operating amount of smoke detectors will not safe the lives of the people in the complex. What needs to be done is to evacuate all tenants immediately until the proper fire safety steps are taken. For example, fire retarded exits, and I emphasize, not one exits but several exits from the upper floors. Replace vinyl siding with fire retardant siding and appropriate fire stopping to protect the cockloft from fire extension. I'm certain that there are other things I've missed. Respectfully yours, J.R.


The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.