make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

ONLY ON 3: DA Rex Gore's office flubs another case

READ MORE: Brunswick court blunders continue for DA's Office; rape trial postponed
britt300.jpg

BOLIVIA, NC (WWAY) -- Seems like those pesky problems with the prosecution just won't go away. Yet another mistake by the District Attorney's Office has the trial of an accused rapist on hold.

Jury selection was set to begin in the case of Matthew Wayne Britt Tuesday. Britt was going to face three counts of statutory rape, but the judge found a mistake in the indictment. Assistant District Attorney Meredith Everhardt declined to talk on camera, but says 26-year-old Britt is still in custody on $1 million bond. Everhardt says the trial could have gone on as scheduled if both parties had given it the OK, but Britt refused and the judge continued the case.

The District Attorney's Office had to re-file charges against Britt, who now faces nine counts of statutory rape. Everhardt says the evidence always suggested there were nine counts, but it's rare that anyone is sentenced to more than three terms at a time. Filing only three counts, she says, helped speed up the process.

Now the case will once again have to go all the way back to the grand jury, which will have to indict Britt for a second time.

The mistake will also cost taxpayers more money. In addition to the extra legal fees, the state pays for the victim's family to travel back and forth - we understand to the tune of thousands of dollars. We tried to contact Britt's attorney for comment, but he did not return our phone calls.

We continue to request District Attorney Rex Gore to sit down with us to explain what's going on in Brunswick County. We sent him an open letter on July 21st with the request. So far we've heard nothing back.

If you would like to read the open letter: http://www.wwaytv3.com/open_letter_dist_attorney_rex_gore_re_ada_erin_ho...

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.