make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Woman dead after discarded cigarette leads to fire

READ MORE: Woman dead after discarded cigarette leads to fire
lullwater_fire.JPG

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- 59-year-old Judy Godwin Cothren died this morning when her house caught on fire.
Investigators say a cigarette started the fire.

The Wilmington Fire Department says a carbon monoxide detector went off early this morning at 124B Lullwater Drive. The people in that home called 911. Crews arrived, and when they could not find the source of CO in 124B, the checked the unit next door and saw light smoking coming from the eaves.

While knocking on the door and ringing the doorbell firefighters could hear an alarm sounding. They forced open the door and started searching. They quickly found the victim, who was overcome from the smoke and CO. They removed her and crews started life saving measures, but were not able to resuscitate her.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.