make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Don't let your Christmas tree turn into a yule log

READ MORE: Don't let your Christmas tree turn into a yule log

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- 'Tis the season for trimming the tree, but a Christmas tree in your home is a potential fire starter. Firefighters say the number one thing to remember this holiday season is to water your tree.

Wilmington firefighters lit two trees on fire today to show how quickly a dry tree will catch fire compared to a tree that's been watered. The tree that was not watered went up in flames in a matter of seconds.

The fire department says during the holidays many people forget to turn off the lights, water the tree and blow out candles. Firefighters say you'd be surprised how many calls they respond to dealing with live christmas trees.

"Mainly there's some type of open flame either from frayed wires that can actually ignite the tree. Generally what we see if people just don't unplug them or they have some unattended candle and they don't blow the candle out in the room," New Hanover County Fire Marshal Matt Davis said.

Firefighters say people should water their live tree every day.

On average one of every 18 reported home christmas tree fires results in death.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.



The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.