As a resident of the historic district, here are some suggestions.
1. Put a cap on the number of bars that can operate in the central business district.
2. If problems continue, place a curfew of say 11pm or midnight. (This gives the locals time to enjoy a nice dinner and drinks before the rift-raft show up)
3. Have incentives for retail stores and small business to re-open and bring daytime traffic back downtown.
4. Make parking free on weekends during the day to lure some of the customers that go to Mayfair, Westfield...ect
5. Work with developers to bring in a small grocery store, maybe a dept store such as Saks, Nordstroms, and a movie theater.
A Tall order but go to Charleston SC's historic district sometime and use as an example of a safe active historical city.
I would be glad to run for public office if you need help with this...I love my city and hate to see it decline.
More information about formatting options