GASTONIA, NC (AP) -- A Gaston woman says she had to go to the emergency room after taking a swig of what was supposed to be sweet tea from a fast food restaurant.
The Gaston Gazette reported that Shawna Bruce said doctors diagnosed a probable allergic reaction to chemicals.
Bruce bought the drink and a biscuit Saturday morning at a McDonald's in Gaston County. Owner Jeff Stanton told Bruce the staff uses a bleach-type sanitizer that may have been in the beverage. He apologized and offered to pay her medical bills. He says the restaurant was inspected Monday and no problems were found.
Bruce says she was insulted when the cashier tried to charge her for a new cup for her tea.
Gaston County Environmental Health Administrator Curtis Hopper says his department is investigating.
Information from: The Gaston Gazette, http://www.gastongazette.com
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)