make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Gaston County woman says sweet tea was caustic

READ MORE:

GASTONIA, NC (AP) -- A Gaston woman says she had to go to the emergency room after taking a swig of what was supposed to be sweet tea from a fast food restaurant.

The Gaston Gazette reported that Shawna Bruce said doctors diagnosed a probable allergic reaction to chemicals.

Bruce bought the drink and a biscuit Saturday morning at a McDonald's in Gaston County. Owner Jeff Stanton told Bruce the staff uses a bleach-type sanitizer that may have been in the beverage. He apologized and offered to pay her medical bills. He says the restaurant was inspected Monday and no problems were found.

Bruce says she was insulted when the cashier tried to charge her for a new cup for her tea.

Gaston County Environmental Health Administrator Curtis Hopper says his department is investigating.

---
Information from: The Gaston Gazette, http://www.gastongazette.com

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.