Only an ignorant person would make such statements. It's the law of supply and demand. When there is less supply and demand remains constant or increases (as it does during spring/summer seasons), price goes up. And don't forget the 49 cents tax added to each gallon of gas.
As for supply....
1) BO has publicly stated he would love to see gas prices at $5.00 per gallon. He has put a moratorium on off-shore drilling, refuses to open up ANWAR or the plethora of other domestic areas that are oil rich. Yet, he has time to fly to Brazil to tell them that we will give them drilling and pumping technology so they can get to their assets???
2) The OPEC states have no incentive to increase supply because at over $100 per barrel of brent crude (this is the oil needed to make gasoline), the demand does not diminish (that is people don't change their habits). At about $120/barrel, it has shown that demand will begin to shift downward significantly which then increases supply.
3) Even though demand for gasoline continues to climb in the US, no new refineries have been built in over 20 years. Even if we could get the oil cheaper, we could not refine it quick enough to satiate demand.
As for demand...
1) China and India continue to increase oil consumption year over year. They are now the #2 and #3 oil consumers (after America) and at current rate will surpass us in about 5-10 years.
As for taxes....
1) The Dems in control of North Carolina (prior to getting voted out) repealed the top limit on state gas tax so it added 8 cents/gallon to the price paid at the pump.
More information about formatting options