make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Cary man's sign to come down, lawsuit continues

READ MORE:

CARY, NC (AP) -- A sign that sparked a free speech legal battle
in Cary will be removed - but the war continues.

The News and Observer of Raleigh reported Friday that Dawn Brown
will remove messages her father put on his house two years ago,
including: "Screwed by the town of Cary."

William David Bowden died last month, and his daughter said she
needs to sell the house. But Brown says Bowden's estate will
continue his lawsuit against the town.

Bowden began displaying the signs to protest a road project he
said caused water damage to his basement.

Bowden sued Cary in 2009 after the town threatened to fine him
for the sign.

A federal judge agreed with Bowden's argument that his actions
were protected under the First Amendment.

The town is appealing.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.