make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

FEMA: $12M approved for NC Irene relief

READ MORE:

RALEIGH, NC (AP) -- Nearly $12 million in state and federal money has been approved for people in North Carolina affected by Hurricane Irene.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency said Tuesday that about $10 million of the money approved so far has gone to housing grants, including short-term rental assistance. Nearly $2 million has gone to pay for needs like medical costs and lost personal possessions.

FEMA says more than 17,000 people in the state have contacted the agency for help after Irene. Officials are still working to examine the scope of the damage by inspecting homes and other properties hit by the storm.

Initial estimates have more than 1,100 homes in North Carolina destroyed by the Category 1 storm, which also did tens of millions of dollars of damage.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.