make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Bank robbery suspect arrested after nearly 5-hour standoff


WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Police say the man suspected of an armed bank robbery earlier Wednesday barricaded himself inside a duplex on Greenville Avenue. The suspect, 38-year-old Clay McArthur, was arrested after a nearly five-hour standoff.

Wilmington Police set up a mobile command post on the corner of Greenville and Hinton Avenue. A portion of Greenville was closed for much of the night.

Police say it all started around 7:30 or 8 p.m. Officers had shown up to the home to try and speak with McArthur when he barricaded himself inside.

Officers kept neighbors back from the scene. The SABLE helicopter was in the air circling the duplex, as police said the man was armed with an assault rifle.

"We used our bomb robot to break out the windows in the house, and as we were breaking the windows out around the lower floors of the house he finally decided that he was going to give up," Police Chief Ralph Evangelous said.

Shots were fired to take out a light fixture off Greenville Avenue. No one was hurt during the standoff. McArthur was arrested at approximately 1:30 a.m. Thursday.

"We were very meticulous about it," Evangelous said. "We took our time, and it worked out well for everybody."

McArthur is charged with armed robbery with more charges possibly to follow.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.



The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.