make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

ONLY ON 3: Family hopes fire that damaged home can be a lesson to others

READ MORE: ONLY ON 3: Family hopes fire that damaged home can be a lesson to others
boliviahome300.jpg

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) -- A Brunswick County family is still picking up the pieces and cleaning up from a weekend house fire that damaged their home. Now they want to tell their story in hopes of possibly preventing a similar incident for others.

Besides the debris outside the Hewett family's yard you might not know this home suffered a fire on friday, but it's easy to see inside.

"I heard like a frying sound, like a sizzling sound, so I knew something was going on, but I didn't know what," Tina Hewett said.

Hewett says she quickly called the Sunset Harbor Fire Department to investigate. Firefighters found the plugs where the Hewetts had a space heater connected were hot; advising the family not to use them, even shutting off power to the house.

The fire department scanned the entire home with a thermal imaging camera just to make sure, but found nothing. About four hours later Tina's husband Lee felt serious heat coming from the ceiling.

"I come to find out the whole time the fire had spread through my wall and my ceiling," Tina said.

Fire Chief John Eeten says when firefighters showed up a second time it was obvious the fire was a result of several electrical shorts. They also noticed someone had turned the power back on.

As the clean-up process continues for the Hewett family, the debris left behind serves as a reminder that the fire could have been worse by taking the entire home or also injuring a loved one.

"It could have been a lot worse, because my wife and my daughter was in the room asleep," Lee Hewett said. "I just thank God they're OK. It wasn't worse than what it really could be."

The Hewetts hope their story will serve as a cautionary tale for others who may run into similar electrical issues, especially when using heaters during the winter.

"Take the extra initiative to have it checked out," Lee said. "It's better to be safe than sorry."

The Sunset Harbor Fire Department says this is not the first time a fire has started from an outlet in which a space heater was connected. They say families using space heaters should make sure the plug they are using is properly wired and safe.

As for the the Hewetts, the family is currently staying with family as they wait for their insurance company to help out.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.