make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Shuler says he won't run for NC governor in 2012

READ MORE:

RALEIGH, NC (AP) -- Another Democratic elected official has said no to running for North Carolina governor - this time US Rep. Heath Shuler.

The western North Carolina Congressman put out a statement Tuesday saying it was an honor to be discussed as a candidate but that now is not his time.

Shuler is a three-term House member planning to run for re-election in the refigured 11th District stretching from the foothills west to the Tennessee and Georgia borders. Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx said earlier Tuesday he would forego a statewide race this year.

Two Democrats already have entered the gubernatorial race - Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton and state Rep. Bill Faison.

Gov. Bev Perdue announced last week she would not seek re-election.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.