WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Filing to run for office in the state starts Monday, a beginning to what should be a very interesting election season.
Governor Bev Perdue’s announcement last month was a shock to many, sparking an entirely new political ball game in North Carolina. Now that Congressman Mike McIntyre has decided not to run for the governor's office, his seat is no longer up for grabs, which leaves New Hanover County Commissioner Jonathan Barfield to change his plans.
“It leaves me staying with the board of County Commissioners,” Barfield said.
Less than a month ago, Barfield was in a different state of mind. He said that if McIntyre did run for governor, he would run for McIntyre's seat. Barfield says he is not ruling out eventually running for Congress.
“It’s definitely on my radar screen,” Barfield said. “It's something that I am striving to get to. Just right now, the timing definitely would not be right with him continuing to go ahead and run for re-election and with the dynamics in county government, it's just time to stay put for a while.”
New Hanover County Commissioner Rick Catlin has also announced he will be running for a seat in the state House of Representatives.