make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

I have a severely

I have a severely handicapped son (since birth) and he lives in a residential facility in New Bern. I live in Wilmington. As far as visiting and checking on a child who lives in one of these facilities, there is only so much you can do. Your trust is in the caregivers. The reason they are in these places is because the families are unable to care for them at home. It is a 24/7 job and there is no way I can hold a job and take care of my son. There are no 'sitters' available for severely disabled adults, either and if there were, who could afford to pay them. So unless you have walked in their/my shoes, stop the judging. The families are doing the best they can.


The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.