make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

NC military bases to review school security

READ MORE:
militaryschoolsafety.jpg

FORT BRAGG, NC (AP) -- Schools on North Carolina's big military bases are reviewing security procedures after last week's mass killing of students in Connecticut.

Superintendent Emily Marsh issued a statement Monday to the parents of students at US Department of Defense schools at Fort Bragg, Camp Lejeune and other North Carolina bases that principals and school administrators will review their security measures and crisis procedures.

Though public access to military bases is typically restricted, the 2009 shootings at Fort Hood, TX, showed they are not immune to violence.

Marsh said keeping classrooms safe and secure must be the first priority. She says she welcomes suggestions from parents on how to enhance security at on-base schools.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.