RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - A North Carolina prosecutor says he may seek to try four teenagers as adults in the killing of a homeless man whose body was found stuffed in a trash can.
Wake County District Attorney Colon Willoughby said Monday he is likely to seek the transfer of the murder cases against at least some of the teens from the juvenile system due to the severity of the crime.
Raleigh Police arrested three 15-year-old males and a 13-year-old male last week in connection with the death of Regynald Jose Brown, a 37-year-old homeless man whose body was found near a city greenway. A fifth teen is accused of providing assistance after the killing.
State law bars prosecutors from seeking the death penalty in murder cases where the defendants are younger than 18.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)