make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Perdue: $1M to keep NC group homes going a month

READ MORE:

EMERY P. DALESIO
Associated Press

RALEIGH, NC (AP) -- Gov. Bev Perdue says she's moving $1 million to prevent about 1,400 mentally ill residents of North Carolina group homes from becoming homeless because of funding cuts expected after this month.

Perdue on Tuesday cited her authority to change the state budget according to unforeseen circumstances in moving money to keep group home residents in place through the end of January. The Democratic governor says the Republican-led General Assembly and incoming Gov. Pat McCrory can then figure out a longer-term fix.

Spokesmen for state Senate leader Phil Berger and House Speaker Thom Tillis didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.

A top legislative health and human services budget-writer last month suggested Perdue should shift money within the budget to pay for the group home residents to stay.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.