make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

This will only affect the small boaters.

Owners of large vessels will normally go with the "Federal Documentation" method as applied for with the USCG. There is an initial federal "documentation fee" and that's it. You request an annual "stamp" to keep your documentation current, keep the vessel name and hailing port clearly marked on the transom (among other requirements) and float on. There are no state numbers, no state registration, no state fees and on top of that, a state entity cannot board your vessel without yours or USCG permission. I'm not sure if there are any limits on vessel length to obtain federal documentation status.


The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.