make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

FIRST ON 3: House fire sparks with residents, infant inside

READ MORE:
fire_damage.jpg

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Flames destroyed a Wilmington home with residents inside after a pot was left unattended in the kitchen.

It happened at 709 S. 9th St. just after 12:15 a.m. Tuesday.

According to fire crews, the house was fully engulfed when they arrived, but the 3 residents managed to get out before anyone was hurt.

One of the residents who escaped says she was cooking when she went to check on her baby.

Battalion Chief Born says crews determined the fire started was accidental, caused by unattended cooking.

The total damage is estimated at $80,000.

Born says the man, woman and infant are staying with friends.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.