make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

NC crews work to recover 2 children under dirt

READ MORE:

DENVER, NC (AP) -- Authorities are still searching for the bodies of two children who were trapped when dirt fell on them while playing in a hole at a home construction site near Charlotte.

Lincoln County Emergency Management officials say a father of one of the children called 911 Sunday afternoon. The Charlotte Observer reported that Jordan Caldwell told operators he saw the dirt collapse on the 6-year-old girl and 7-year-old boy.

Officials say crews were on the scene within minutes but couldn't get to the children, who were trapped about 20 feet below a new home that was under construction.

Neighbors told the newspaper a man building the home had been digging with a backhoe earlier in the day.

Authorities said late Sunday they didn't expect to find the children alive.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.