make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Cigarette blamed for apartment fire overnight

READ MORE:
 

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- The Wilmington Fire Department says improperly discarded smoking material led to a fire that ripped through an apartment complex overnight that forced nearly 20 people from their homes.

It happened at Wilmington's Colonial Grand Apartments at 818 St. Andrews Drive. Firefighters say the flames were put out just before 2 a.m.

The Wilmington Fire Department says fire, water and smoke damage ended up displacing six of the 18 units in the building. Two had fire damage, one had water damage and three other had smoke damages. WFD says property management has relocated all the people affected.

Crews say the fire forced about 18 people who lived there out of their apartments, and into the complex club house until the American Red Cross could get to the scene to help.

Firefighters say one was hurt, but one cat died in the fire.

The Red Cross says it is available to help anyone affected, but no one has asked for help so far.

Investigators say the fire started in the area of a second story balcony. They estimate the building suffered about $200,000 worth of damage.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.