WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- White Bean and Chicken Chili is ready in 20 minutes flat. All you need to round out dinner is a cup of fruit or small side salad and a crusty roll, corn bread or crackers.
White Bean and Chicken Chili
SERVES 4 - START TO FINISH: 20 minutes
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 large onion (for 1 cup chopped)
1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
1 can (15 ounces) Great Northern white beans
1 can (19 ounces) cannellini beans (white Italian kidney beans)
1 can (4 1/2 ounces) chopped green chilies
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 can (14 ounces) fat-free chicken broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup already shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, optional garnish
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream, optional garnish
1. If the chicken is frozen run it under hot water so you can remove any of the packaging. Place the chicken on a microwave-safe plate and microwave 2 minutes, uncovered on high, to begin defrosting.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil on medium heat in a 4-1/2 quart Dutch oven or soup pot. Peel and coarsely chop the onion, adding it to the pot as you chop. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
3. Cut the chicken (fresh or partially thawed) into bite-size chinks and add it to the pot. Add the garlic and continue to cook, stirring occasionally.
4. While the chicken cooks, rinse and drain both cans of beans and drain the chilies. Add the beans, chilies, cumin, white and cayenne peppers and broth to the pot. Raise the heat to high and cover the pot. Bring the chili to a boil. Meanwhile, combine the water and cornstarch in a small container that has a lid. Shake well to remove any lumps.
5. When the chili boils, the chicken should be cooked through. Add the cornstarch mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly. Continue to boil until the chili reaches the desired thickness. Remove from the heat until ready to serve. Garnish with cheese and sour cream, if desired.
© 2014 Kitchen Scoop, LLC - please visit us online at www.kitchenscoop.com where you can find more of our recipes!