make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Alleged gunman apprehended on school grounds

READ MORE: Alleged gunman apprehended on school grounds
There are disturbing new details about a shooting last week that forced four schools in downtown Wilmington to go on lockdown. Wednesday Newschannel 3 learned that one of the suspects, charged with attempted murder, was apprehended in class, after the shooting. The accused shooter was a student at New Hanover High School. Previously, the principal of New Hanover High said he didn't show for school that day, but we now know did go to class after the shooting. Last Wednesday, New Hanover High School went on lock down for the fourth time in less than two months. A shooting on the corner of 11th and Orange Streets lead school authorities to take the precaution. "All of the folks that were involved were students of school age, and when the incident occurred, that was the initial report, and that led us to take some of the action that we did, which was going into the lockdown," New Hanover High School Principal Chris Furr said. According to Principal Furr, the school re-opened it's doors when three of the four suspects connected to the shooting were apprehended. The fourth suspect, a New Hanover High student, managed to elude authorities, and went back to class that day. He was apprehended by the school resource officer in gym class, and charged with attempted murder by Wilmington Police. "It's been tough you know, some of the conversations the kids have shared, tough for them to understand how this type of thing can happen with someone they know," Principal Furr said. The president of the PTA in New Hanover County says safety has been a big concern for parents. She says she and other parents she spoke to, weren't alarmed that an alleged gunman, was taken in to custody on school grounds. "It actually made me feel better knowing that plans we're putting on paper are actually being followed through," New Hanover County PTA President, Stephanie Kraybill said. Principal Furr says the gun never made it on to campus but somehow, the accused gunman did. That student is no longer attending school, and is charged with attempted murder, armed robbery and possession of a firearm by a minor. In addition to his legal troubles, the student is facing further disciplinary action through the school system

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Reply

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
CAPTCHA
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.