WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- Fire crews are investigating after they say several residents escaped a burning home that caught fire in the early morning hours, leaving a pet with injuries.
Wilmington firefighters say the flames sparked at the home at 222 Rose Avenue just after 1 a.m. When they got to the scene crews say they found fire and heavy smoke coming from the house, where the residents stood by after already escaping the blaze.
Once firefighters searched to be sure everyone was out of the home, they then began attacking the flames from inside. They say though no person was hurt, a cat was burned in the fire and later transported to an emergency vet by a neighbor.
Fire crews continue investigating what sparked the fire. They say the residents plan to stay with friends.