make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Restaurants have to have license to play music

READ MORE: Restaurants have to have license to play music
Everyone knows you need a license to serve liquor, but did you know you also need a license to play music? Some bar owners in Surf City learned the hard way. Michael Pasquantonio of Mainsail Restaurant and bar was recently contacted by ASCAP and BMI -- two organizations that ensure musicians collect royalties for their music. Pasquantonio had to sign contracts with both and pay a fee. This way, he's not liable if a live band plays one of their artist's songs. "It kinda stinks because we're into the season already and we've already booked the bands. So we had to go and pay them for this year," said Pasquantonio. Pasquantonio said had he known about this earlier, he may not have booked live bands. The fees cost Pasquantonio close to $1000 for the summer season, which is money that will be taken from his profits.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.



The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
Please re-enter the code shown in the image below.