WILMINGTON -- A Wilmington family is homeless after a fire destroyed their house. Family members of the tenant who lived at the home say she didn't have insurance.
The Wilmington Fire Department says the fire on Carnation Court started in an entertainment center. They say that they see fires like this all the time and very rarely do renters protect the contents of their home.
The fire department says the blaze started when two wires crossed between a TV and a DVD player at Cynthia Howard's home. They say the damage to the house is estimated at $40,000.
Fortunately no one was home at the time of the fire, and no one was hurt.
The Red Cross is helping Howard so she does have somewhere to live.
Wilmington Fire officials urge tenants who don't have the contents of their home protected to get renter's insurance right away.
Insurance agents we talked to say its one of the most unrequested kinds of insurance.
14th STREET FIRE
An electric blanket was the cause of yesterday's fire on 14th Street.
The Wilmington Fire Department says the blanket was left turned on and was wadded up on the bed, when it ignited.
The fire was confined mostly to the bedroom, damaging everything inside.
Firefighters say flames also burned the attic and the roof. Officials say the damages could be around $40,000.