FAYETTEVILLE, NC (AP) -- Army officials say a military judge has agreed to delay the court-martial of a North Carolina soldier accused in a series of rapes and break-ins.
The Fayetteville Observer reported court dockets indicated the court-martial of 23-year-old Aaron Pernell of Tulsa, Okla., had been scheduled to begin Sept. 27. Instead, a pretrial hearing is now scheduled for that day.
A spokesman for the 82nd Airborne Division says Pernell's lawyers requested the delay from the judge, Col. Gary Brockington. The spokesman says Brockington also denied a request to move the trial to another military base.
A new date for Pernell's court-martial does not appear on Fort Bragg court dockets, which run through the beginning of December.
Information from: The Fayetteville Observer, http://www.fayobserver.com
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)