make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Dog saved from house fire on Grace Street

A dog was saved from a house fire Tuesday night thanks to a Wilmington resident and firefighters. The fire broke out at a home in the 600 block of Grace Street. The fire was confined to the kitchen, but there was smoke damage throughout the home. When firefighters first arrived they found a neighbor spraying water into the bottom floor of the home with a garden house because of smoke coming from the back of the home. The neighbor told firefighters that a dog was inside and that nobody was home. After a bit of work, firefighters found the lab mix. “We used an infrared camera that showed the dog's warmth and body and we were able to locate the dog in one of the bedrooms,” said Wilmington Fire Chief K.W. Dudley. The family dog was found upstairs and was lethargic when firefighters rescued him. The homeowners and the dog were unable to stay in the house Tuesday night.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.


Thanks for all you do!!

You saved our dog (Bawb) and did everything you could to minimize the damage to our house. You helped us through a very difficult time. We really appreciate our WFD!!! The boys, Bawb, and I want to send a warm thank you out to the team that worked on our fire. Thank you!!!

Way to Go!

Great job to our firefighters and to the homeowner's neighbor for going above and beyond and saving the dog's life!

Job very well done !!!!!

I just wanted to thank the Wilmington Fire Dept. for going one step above and looking for the dog.. As a pet owner they are one of the family and would have been very heart broken if they didin't find the dog.. Way to good !!!!!

Nice Work

I'll 2nd that! They really are a part of the family.