RALEIGH (AP) -- A man who told police he was driving a stolen vehicle that crashed into a car and killed a Cary man is being held on $1 million bond because authorities can't confirm who he is.
A Wake District Court judge refused a request to lower the bond for the man who told state troopers he was Michael Caldera De Latorre. A prosecutor told the judge the man was a flight risk.
The man is charged with driving while impaired, felony death by motor vehicle and two felony counts of serious injury by motor vehicle. He was charged after an SUV crossed the median of Interstate 40 during rush hour Monday morning and hit a vehicle, killing George Smith.
A woman in another car was treated for minor injuries.
After the wreck, the 24-year-old man told troopers his name was De Latorre and a driver's license showed he was from Concord. Troopers said they learned today that the SUV had been stolen in Charlotte.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)