WILMINGTON -- A gas leak at a local elementary school forced an evacuation this morning. Students and faculty from Anderson Elementary School were evacuated around nine o'clock. Fire officials secured the area. Upon discovering it was only a minor leak, they allowed kids to return to class. Anderson Elementary Principal Vicki Hayes said, "We evacuated the building and the fire department came. They've given the OK for the students and the staff to return inside the building." Bus driver Wendy Joyner said, "We saw all the kids standing outside and we weren't sure if it was just a fire drill, but apparently when all the trucks started coming up, we knew it was something different." Students were allowed back into class after about half an hour.
Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.