WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -- A family left homeless. The family's pets lost in the blaze.
The fire destroyed a mobile home off Greenville Loop Road in Wilmington this morning. The two people who lived inside were not home.
Five dogs and one cat died. Another dog is still missing.
Firefighters had a little trouble getting to the fire because their hoses were not long enough. They could not go inside the trailer to rescue the pets because it was not safe.
"Conditions of fire and smoke were too heavy, and the floor had deteriorated," Capt. Thomas Dolan of the Wilmington Fire Department said. "There was no floor structure for the firefighters to crawl into. It was just entirely too dangerous."
Firefighters say the blaze started because a kitchen appliance was left on.