make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Fire destroys Wilmington home

READ MORE:
GUYCOURTFIRE300.jpg

Firefighters say improperly discarded smoking material led to a fire that destroyed a Wilmington home this morning. Investigators say the fire started near a work bench in the garage of the house on Guy Court off Airlie Road a little after 1 a.m.

The family was already out of the home by the time firefighters arrived. A dog barking in a kennel woke them up. The dog and probably the family's cat died in the fire. No one else was hurt.

The Red Cross is helping the family find a place to stay tonight.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

Cigarette fire

Looks like the new "Fire Safe Cigarettes" aren't all they're cracked out to be.

pets

plea find outh these people coundn't save their animals. They better have a god excuse!

Dog killers

The dog saved your lives and you couldn't try and save the poor dog?? Hopefully, you never get another dog.

I for sure would have made

I for sure would have made every effort to save my pets. Don't know the details, maybe they did try and just couldn't get to them. If they could have saved the dog and cat and didn't, there is not much to them.

First of all they did try

First of all they did try but the garage was completely involved and they had no chance of entering.So in the future before you make a comment about something you should get the facts.

Wilm1......re-read my

Wilm1......re-read my comment. I gave them the benefit of the doubt.