make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Former teacher says Wrightsboro mold problem years old

READ MORE: Former teacher says Wrightsboro mold problem years old

As New Hanover County school administrators prepare to answer parent questions tonight about mold at Wrightsboro Elementary, a former teacher says the poor air quality that closed down two buildings on campus is responsible for sickness dating back almost ten years.

The former teacher asked that we hide her identity because she is still employed by New Hanover County Schools. She taught at Wrightsboro for eight years and says she developed asthma while teaching there. She says she brought the problem to the attention of the former principal, and although maintenance crews checked the rooms, the woman we will call "Pam" never saw them look in the ceilings.

"A grown-up getting asthma is one thing," she said, "but how many children may have gotten asthma that they're going to have to live with a lot longer than I'm going to have to live with mine?"

Last week an environmental study showed mold in the ceilings of the 300 and 400 buildings of Wrightsboro and found air quality issues in one classroom. All students were moved out of the affected buildings.

New Hanover County school administrators conducted an environmental test in September. The results from that test show no problems with airborne mold spores, but it did find evidence of surface mold in classroom 302.

Once again tonight's forum will take place at Wrightsboro Elementary. It starts at 6:30.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.


Regarding the mold issue at

Regarding the mold issue at Wrightsboro, I think school officials and parents could benefit by looking into the remarkable mold research done by environmental expert Dr Ed Close. Simply diffusing a therapeutic-grade oil regularly in these buildings would likely result in an environment very hostile to mold. Moreover, numerous studies have shown breathing natural oils improves classroom performance.

In one instance, 10,667 stachybotrys mold spores were identified in a per cubic meter area. After diffusing Thieves essential oil for forty-eight hours, Dr Close retested. Only thirteen stachybotrys remained. Similarly, 75,000 stachybotrys mold spores were identified in a sample of sheetrock. After seventy-two hours of diffusing, no stachybotrys mold spores remained. (Stachybotrys has a reputation for being the most toxic mold.)