make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Funeral Arrangements for WFD Cpt. John Miller

Funeral arrangements have been set for Wilmington Fire Department Captain John Miller. He died Thursday in a helicopter crash in New Hanover County. Visitation will be held Monday at 7 p.m. at the Andrews Valley Chapel at 4108 South College Road. The funeral will be held Tuesday at 11 a.m. at the First Baptist Church on 5th and Market Streets. Following the service, there will be a processional to Battleship Park, where members of the immediate family will board the WFD fire boat to spread Captain Miller's ashes in the Cape Fear River. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to: The Muscular Dystrophy Association (in memory of John Miller) 1518 Harbor Drive, Wilmington, NC, 28401 The Cape Fear Community College Foundation 411 North Front Street, Wilmington, NC, 28401 The J.C. Miller Memorial Fund Hanover Federal Credit Union 3802 Cherry Avenue, Wilmington, NC, 28403

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.


My Captain..My Friend

I worked one summer with Capt. Miller, he knew I could use the extra money and I knew he could use the extra set of hands. I had a hand in building his garage, from laying the cement, to nailing the facial boards while we were both (over)extended at the peak.. On the windiest day of the year we ventured out on the roof to build the dormers, the windows that jut out of the roof, and its a small wonder we both didn’t come crashing down. I was with him the day the nail gun misfired and shot a nail into his forearm and tugging it out of his arm, he calmly said, "Well, I guess we’re done for today." We built the privacy fence surrounding his yard, poured the cement for his pool, and I remember getting a horrible allergic reaction to being submerged in his pool from a mixture of chlorine, soft soap and grout as I laid the tile. We built a deck, a gazebo, we hoisted 3 fully grown palm trees over the 8ft fence without breaking a single board (he was a master on the backhoe too)... lowered them into the huge holes we had dug together. We laid an intricate arrangement of paving stones in a diamond pattern with diamond grass patches in between, and painstakingly added dirt around the edges of each one. We landscaped the yard both front and back, creating a barrier for weeds by rolling out roofing paper and pinning them down before adding the wood chips. We installed electrical conduits to provide power to the stereo system he routed around the pool. We assisted in finishing the duct work for the heat and air system on the 3rd floor... There was NOTHING this man could not look at, analyze, make a plan for and set forth to accomplish. I was amazed and in awe of his abilities, and couldn’t wait to get off a 24 hr shift and work like a dog beside this man. He wanted it to be perfect for his oldest daughter, Kelli’s summer wedding. I painted the trim on his house, cleaned the inside one day ( a huge task in itself), and talked for hours to his daughter, Lindsay, about LIFE. I was appreciative for the oppurtunity to study and learn all this man had the patience to teach. He thought things through and in his quiet manner, made deliberate actions and knew exactly what to say to get me to understand and set me into the action "I" needed to take to assist him. His passing came as such a SHOCK to me. I hadn’t seen John is months. For days I was in denial about it, as if I didn’t think about it, it wasn’t true. Yesterday though, reality rushed at me like a tidal wave, drowning me in wave after wave sorrow. I took some food and drinks to the family. His wife, Linda was soft spoken and hugged my neck, telling me how sweet a person I’d always been and how John still talked about that summer. I was sitting there, tears streaming down my cheeks thinking I should be comforting her, and here she is, knowing my heart was aching too and was strong and caring enough to comfort ME. Every time I pass the spot where his helicopter went down, I struggle to come to terms with it. I try to imagine him as he was in trouble.. He probably knew what the problem was by the sound and how the copter was turning and spinning, and this man, who knew how to do EVERYTHING..who worked on cars and fire trucks and airplanes, was helpless to fix the problem that would save his own life. Somewhere in my mind John left this world before all that, peacefully, unknowing of the fate that befell him... In my mind he’s now trying to figure it all out so he can move on to the next task before him...And I sit here trying to do the same................ Rest in Peace Captain..Fly on with the angels....

If only for a moment

Linda and family, We send our deepest regrets on your lost of John. We all have been bless by having the privilege to knowing him. He gave to us all the wonderful gift of just being able to share time with him. If only for a moment, he has made an impact on our life's. May the same joy and peace John gave to us, be given to you and your family now and during the coming days.


Linda,our thoughts and prayers are with you during this tragic time in your life but always remember the arms of the angels are around you.We love you and we will all be there for you. The Purchasing Dept of Wilmington Health Associates