WILMINGTON -- A major break in a big case: a Wilmington man is charged with last month's brutal assault on a 95-year-old woman. Police said physical evidence links him to the sexual attack. The man in custody has a long criminal record. Police said he had been out of prison for only four months before attacking the elderly woman on April 12. Forty-one-year-old Brian Reavis served 11 years in prison for armed robbery and other violations while behind bars. He violated parole about a year ago and was sent back to prison. He completed his sentence and was released. Wednesday night US marshals arrested him at his mother's house on South Seventh Street. The victim's neighbors said they're relieved to hear police have someone in custody. Ray Pearce is friends with Reavis' mother and was at the home when he was arrested. Pearce said, "He's a very kind, quiet, polite, subtle young man." Wilmington Police Chief Ralph Evangelous said, "By the grace of God and some good work and some good luck, we got him in custody and we hope to put him in prison for the rest of his life." Pearce said she was surprised to learn the allegations against her friend's son. Reavis is at the New Hanover County jail, being held under $1 million secured bond. The group Residents of Old Wilmington had been offering a $1,000 reward in connection with the attack. A member said as of right now, that money isn't going to anyone -- police tell them there were no tips and it was physical evidence that linked Reavis.
- Video Central
- About WWAY